remote kernel problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111657] remote kernel problem
  • From: Cristobal Navarro <axischire at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 05:13:51 -0400 (EDT)

hello,

i am having problems launching remote kernels.
i have a Xeon server (Linux) on which mathematica is installed, and
the "math" command works.

on my laptop, i have linux too, and on mathematica i add the kernel to
be launched on the remote (the server)  node.
then i try one example:
2+2

i press shift+enter... mathematica asks me to insert the password of
the remote node user name.... ok  and then i get error message:

"The kernel serverKernel failed to connect to the front end. (Error =
MLECONNECT). You should try running the kernel connection outside the
front end."

for debugging purposes, i made a kernel for my same laptop, just like
a "Local" kernel but i choose remote and put my ip adress and my
useracount of my laptop.

i test 2+2, it asks my password..ok, then the same message:

"The kernel self failed to connect to the front end. (Error =
MLECONNECT). You should try running the kernel connection outside the
front end."

this is really weird.

the parameters of the "self kernel" are this:
`java` -jar `mathssh` fcluster@agua math -mathlink -LinkMode Connect -
LinkProtocol TCPIP -LinkName "`linkname`" -LinkHost `ipaddress`

if remote kernel does not work with my same computer, i better not
keep trying with the server yet.

any help is welcome, i really dont know what is going on.

best regards
Cristobal.