Re: Suggestions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111656] Re: Suggestions
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 05:13:40 -0400 (EDT)

One might have hoped that the algorithm would catch a simple case like this:

Graphics[{Table[Line[{{0, y}, {1, y}}], {y, 0, 1, 0.1}]},
 AspectRatio -> .4]

Style[Graphics[{Table[Line[{{0, y}, {1, y}}], {y, 0, 1, 0.1}]},
  AspectRatio -> .4], Antialiasing -> False]

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: John Fultz [mailto:jfultz at wolfram.com]

This is why we have an Automatic value as an option for Antialiasing.
In some cases, antialiasing clearly contributes to image quality, and in
some cases, it clearly degrades it.  Automatic ties into an algorithm
which attempts to efficiently make determinations about what would look
best.  Because it tries to do so efficiently, there are cases where it
doesn't do an absolutely perfect job.

Also, something I'd like to clarify from your message....the
Antialiasing option does not affect 3D graphics, and that 3D graphics
cannot have antialiasing turned on and off at the level of individual
primitives.  This is because 3D acceleration hardware doesn't support
control of antialiasing at that fine of granularity.  Because of the
fundamental differences in the way things work for 3D, 3D antialiasing
is controlled by a different option
(RenderingOptions->"HardwareAntialiasingQuality").  It's more easily
controlled in the Appearance->Graphics pane of the Preferences dialog.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group