Re: A new graphic user interface

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111747] Re: A new graphic user interface
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 05:28:50 -0400 (EDT)

On 11/08/10 09:49, Murray Eisenberg wrote:
> The main issues, from my point of view are simply to ensure:
>
> (1) if Mathematica crashes, you only lose the past so-many minutes work; and
>
> (2) you can readily retrieve earlier versions of a notebook;
>
> (3) and take care of all this directly from within Mathematica.

I don't want something that saves at regular intervals, because
inevitably it will save part way through a long set of changes, and
produce something inconsistent. Maybe some option to take a copy the
file each time it is saved, to a stack of back versions.

Also, when Mathematica starts to get into a mess - as inevitably it does
now and again - I don't really want it writing backup files, etc.

I am not sure there is a good fully automatic solution to the problem.

David Bailey

http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk