Re: Mathematica won't stop

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111746] Re: Mathematica won't stop
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 05:28:39 -0400 (EDT)

On 11/08/10 09:47, S. B. Gray wrote:
> Sometimes (not yet well-defined) I try to stop a loop, (either because
> it's running some wrong code or because the loop will take days or
> hours) with alt-comma but it keeps going. More than once I have had to
> shut the whole system off. Granted, Microsoft does not provide a
> competent universal interrupt (which the 35-year-old Tops-10 did very
> nicely) but maybe Mathematica can be modified to stop more easily. ?? Is anyone
> else bummed by this?
>
> Steve Gray

If you get desperate, you can press Cntrl-Shift-Esc in Windows, which
brings up the Task Manger, from which you can kill the kernel and if
necessary the FrontEnd also.

Alternatively, you can create a batch script containing one or both of:

      taskkill.exe /im MathKernel.exe /t /f
      taskkill.exe /im MathKernel.exe /t /f

David Bailey

http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk