Re: Frontend suggestions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111776] Re: Frontend suggestions
  • From: "Hans Michel" <hmichel at cox.net>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 06:54:07 -0400 (EDT)

Not sure about the newness of the term "Compartment" nor was my intent to
extend the definition of the word "compartment". Result is it can be
interpreted as a new use of the word.

I simply chose "Compartment" as a relation to different meanings of "Cell"
such as space in table where column and row meet, or the unit space in a
grid ruled notebook; or a small room as in prison or convent. Compartment
does not go too far off definitions of cell. "Page" is just too liberating!
Using "Page" would make this concept geared toward the printing. I lean
toward "composition" in any medium.

The galley mode is the normative state of any written work. As any paginated
book can be stitched back to scroll form. So pagination is a transform
function of cuts and flips. I am not proposing changing the FE state just
adding an expression that may serve as a hint to where to cut or flip or
translate. Can be accomplished with CellGroup, what Slides do. What
CellGroup cannot do is flip or translate it's a simple cut. With post
processing that simple cut can be made to flip or translate.

With the freedom that would come in calling it "Page" many would start to
expect a "page" which would become restrictive. Calling it "Compartment"
would leave some room for interpretation. I am not stuck with the name.

Hans