Re: Frontend suggestions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111786] Re: Frontend suggestions
  • From: "Hans Michel" <hmichel at cox.net>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 06:55:57 -0400 (EDT)

If WRI Mathematica Notebook expressions were represented as a DTD then
The current representation would be
<!ELEMENT Notebook (Cell+)*>

I am just proposing:
<!ELEMENT Notebook (Compartment+|Cell+)*>
<!ELEMENT Compartment (Cell+)*>

Or the like (may not have the DTD declarations correct, just a hint).  So
the introduction of this new expression would not disturb older files that
are a sequence of "Cell".

I don't think the problem is with the frontend interface handling too much,
but with market forces. Whatever happened to Display PostScript?

WRI solutions (Mathematica, FE, Workbench, webMathematica, Publicon,
Packlets, W|A,...) have been many things to many people, all of whom are
trying to learn, get work done, etc... What I put forward is not going to
cut the noise. For the lack of a good analogy to use I'll go with the
following:
In a complexly boisterously crowded but productive room with an open door
where the noise is overflowing into another room, a simple solution may be
to close the door. Closing the door is an additional action to something
that is productive just noisy.

What is the frontend missing I don't know (upgrade the Quiet function). We
were asked to suggest things that we would like to see in the frontend,
otherwise more noise and complexity to an already complex system. I have
many ideas on reducing the noise. Nevertheless, I was hoping to possibly
enhance composition from a batch to an interactive process by putting
forward a concept of compartments.

Hopefully WRI is working toward elegant solutions to the complexities of
Mathematica "System of ..."

Hans