"in-program" backup facility

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111840] "in-program" backup facility
  • From: peter <plindsay.0 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 07:36:11 -0400 (EDT)

I've seen a few posts about this and I'm wondering if I am missing the
point [ again ].
Surely folks are managing their own backups - perhaps using "Time
Machine" on the mac or whatever. The arguments in favour or regular
backups surely extend beyond the use of Mathematica and apply
generally to the use of a personal computer ?

I don't mean to sound smug about this so please bear with me for a
moment: I run a mac and use the "Time Machine" facility within the
operating system, writing to an external disk. I also use "Carbon Copy
Cloner" to write to another external disk providing me with an
up-to-date alternative boot drive. I'm sure users on other systems can
find similar [ free ] utilities, or use perhaps the best of all backup
tools: rsync.

Sorry if I'm missing the point. I don't want to get bogged down in the
distinction between "archive" and "backup" or anything like that. It
just seems vital to me that people keep a cycle of regular backups of
all their work, and even provide themselves with a regularly updated
alternative boot drive.

best wishes

Peter Lindsay