Re: "in-program" backup facility

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111907] Re: "in-program" backup facility
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 07:06:20 -0400 (EDT)

On 8/17/10 at 1:20 AM, dave at removedbailey.co.uk (David Bailey) wrote:

>On 16/08/10 10:55, Bill Rowe wrote:
>>On 8/15/10 at 7:36 AM, plindsay.0 at gmail.com (peter) wrote:

>>Programs designed to backup all files that have changed on a hard
>>drive really aren't replacements for what is being asked for.

>I'd say some sort of 'nag' function that just reminded the user that
>he had been working on a notebook for x minutes, and wouldn't he
>like to save. An automatic save can easily happen at the worst
>possible moment - say half way through a long series of find/replace
>operations!

>I like control over what is going on.

Yes, I agree automated saves in something like Mathematica are
likely to cause more trouble than they are worth. Frankly, I've
used Mathematica for so long I've got a fairly established set
of habits I use when working with Mathematica. So, established I
am unlikely to change my workflow with Mathematica without a
very compelling reason. For me, a simple 'nag' function would
just get ignored and shut off rather than used.