Input problems

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111959] Input problems
  • From: Fritz Waltus <reinhard.grauheil at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 08:09:13 -0400 (EDT)

Hi group,

I just installed Mathematica 7.0.0 on a Fedora 13 system and
everything works fine, except for entering commands. Whenever I type
something, Mathematica automatically adds white spaces to the input.
For example

D[Sin[x],x]

becomes

D=EF=BF=BF[Sin=EF=BF=BF[x=EF=BF=BF], x=EF=BF=BF]

where the =EF=BF=BF only appeared just now when copying it into this .txt -
what I see in Mathematica is just a white space, i.e. it looks like

D [Sin [x ],x ]

and of course this doesn't evaluate. However, it is no problem to
manually delete these whitespaces and the input then gets properly
processed and the output looks perfectly normal. Is there some way to
prevent these whitespaces from actually popping up?

Thanks a lot