inconsistency of FourierParameters for Fourier and FourierTransform

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111966] inconsistency of FourierParameters for Fourier and FourierTransform
  • From: Benjamin Hell <hell at exoneon.de>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 08:10:38 -0400 (EDT)

  Hi,
I want to use the discrete Fourier transform (implemented in mathematica
via the Fourier function) and the continuous Fourier transform
(implemented in mathematica via the FourierTransform function) for
signal processing. As I want to do signal processing I have to change
the FourierParameters option for the Fourier and the FourierTransform
functions.
The mathematica help states, that FourierParameters->{1,-1} should be
the correct option. But according to the documentation of the
FourierTransform function FourierParameters->{0,-2Pi} is the correct
option for signal processing. And in deed it turns out, that
FourierParameters->{1,-1} must be used with the Fourier function and
FourierParameters->{0,-Pi} must be used with the FourierTransform
function to get consistent results (and do correct signal processing).
Can anybody explain this inconsistency to me? Is it just a mistake by
wolfram?

Thanks in advance.