referencing auto-numbered cell

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111960] referencing auto-numbered cell
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 08:09:24 -0400 (EDT)

I have a cell style (Exercise) in a style sheet whose definition
includes a CounterIncrements option (CounterIncrements->"Exercise").

Suppose I have a particular cell, call it cellA, with that style.   Into
that cell I've inserted an Automatic Numbering number for counter
Exercise. And I've given that cell the cell tag "exercA".

In another, text, cell, say cell cellB, how can I insert the NUMBER of
that cellA?

Of course I want to do this in a robust way: if the automatic number of
cellA later changes because I insert or delete other Exercise cells
before it that also have the same Automatic Numbering counter, then in
cellB the number referenced from cellA should correspondingly change.

(Of course I already know how to insert simply a hyperlink to that other
cell: that's trivial. But that's not what I'm asking.)

It looks like I'm trying to include some kind of Dynamic object within
these cells, but I don't know how, even looking at the cells' underlying
expressions (with Ctrl Shift E) .

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305