Re: A question about a sphere

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg107097] Re: A question about a sphere
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.com>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 06:54:08 -0500 (EST)

Hi,
in mathematica there is no 3 dim circle. Therefore, we have to
approximate the circles using small lines. Here is an example for what
you asked for:
lat[phi_] :=
   Line[Table[{Cos[phi] Sin[th], Cos[phi] Cos[th], Sin[phi]}, {th, 0,
      2 Pi, Pi/20}]];
long[phi_] :=
   Line[Table[{Cos[th] Sin[phi], Cos[th] Cos[phi],
      Sin[th]}, {th, -Pi/2, Pi/2, Pi/20}]];
Graphics3D[{Sphere[{0, 0, 0}, 1]
   , Table[lat[th], {th, -Pi/2, Pi/2, Pi/6}]
   , Table[long[th], {th, -Pi, Pi, Pi/2.5}]
   }]
Note, as the circles are on the sphere it is not clear if they are
visible or not. For certain positions the circles are not alsways drawn
fully. To prevent this, you may either draw the circles a little bit
larger than the spehre or use Opacity.
Daniel