Re: Covariant derivatives of tensors?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg107340] Re: Covariant derivatives of tensors?
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.com>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 07:59:44 -0500 (EST)

Hi Erik,
to accomodate an unknown number of indices, you may dynamically build
the iteration specification. Here is an example:

multiindex[exp_, vars_, dim_] :=
  Table[exp, Evaluate[Sequence @@ {#, 1, dim} & /@ vars]]

if you e.g. say:  multiindex[a[i1, i2], {i1, i2}, 2]
you get: {{a[1, 1], a[1, 2]}, {a[2, 1], a[2, 2]}}

Daniel