Re: Re: Re: Integral confusion

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg107345] Re: [mg107316] Re: [mg107297] Re: Integral confusion
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 03:34:51 -0500 (EST)

Well, if you had Presentations you could use the Student's Integral section
to manipulate the integral, for example break it into two integrals and
factor out the minus sign, and then evaluate the resulting integrals from a
basic integral table (instead of using the Mathematica Integrate command,
although you can use that also.) You can also use basic integration
techniques such as substitution of variable, complete the square,
integration by parts and trigonometric substitution. This gives an
experience and results more like that achieved in college calculus courses.

Also, in this case you could also just map Integrate onto the two terms to
obtain a more conventional result.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: Nasser M. Abbasi [mailto:nma at 12000.org]

The "weird" thing is not what specific constant of integration it returned,
but the fact that it did return one at all.

Integrate[x^2, x] gives x^3/2. not x^3/2+Pi*Sqrt[-1]  or x^3/2+99 even
though both are correct.

> I don't know Integrate's steps in obtaining the result, but I'm sure it
> didn't add extraneous constants deliberately.

Ofcourse. I am sure of that too. But the final result is NOT what one would
normally see in a textbook or expect or do when solving by hand, even though

as I said, it is correct. It is just not "normal" looking.

I am sorry, I did not mean to say anything bad about Mathematica when I said

this result was "weird" even though it is correct.

--Nasser