Re: Exception message from java: MathLink connection was lost.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg107367] Re: Exception message from java: MathLink connection was lost.
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 05:16:27 -0500 (EST)

Andrey wrote:
> Dear David Bailey,
>
> On Feb 9, 10:48 am, David Bailey <d... at removedbailey.co.uk> wrote:
>> I use J/Link a lot, and I have not encountered this problem. The most
>> likely explanation, I think, is that your Java program breaks in some
>> catastrophic way or loops indefinitely.
>
> Yes, it can be so, but the same java code works ok on some others
> systems (I knew two of them, one was winXP and other was Linux).
>
> It looks like there is a problem with transition of floating-point
> numbers from Mathematica to java...
>
> I will try to transfer only strings...
>
>> If it is feasible, I would try
>> compiling your Java code with a main method and try to test it as a
>> free-standing Java program. I would also re-install the DLL files from
>> the Mathematica installation disk, just in case your recompilation
>> introduced any further issues.
>
> I've been working in such a way.
>
>> David Bailey http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk
>
> Thank You for the answer.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Andrey

A good way to explore this problem might be to call ShowJavaConsole[] to
produce a console, and then add calls to

System.out.println(whatever)

in your Java code.

Mathematica Real's correspond to Java's double's - other than that,
there should be no problem transferring floating point quantities, but
if you generate NaN's, there could be problems, I don't know.