Can I embed page breaks in a grid?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg107425] Can I embed page breaks in a grid?
  • From: Jagra <jagra24891 at mypacks.net>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 04:42:44 -0500 (EST)

Hi everyone,

I have created a rather long report that generates automatically with
a structure like this:

report =
 Panel[
  Grid[{
    {header, SpanFromLeft},
    {plot1, plot2},
    {table1, SpanFromLeft},
    {table2,plot3},
    {..., ...}
    },
   Alignment -> Left,
   BaseStyle -> {FontFamily -> "Helvetica", FontSize -> 11}
   ], ImageSize -> {Automatic, Automatic},
  Alignment -> {Center, Automatic},
  ]

You get the idea.

The whole thing looks great on a large display, but it is very long
and when I use

Export["/Users/jagra/Desktop//report1.pdf", report,"PDF"]

I end up with a single (again, very long) page in the pdf file.

I tried just saving the output of the notebook or a selection to a pdf
file but it requires a silly amount of fiddling with the size of the
image to get page breaks anywhere near where I'd like them.

So, does Mathematica have anyway of embedding page breaks in a Grid so
that I could control them precisely.  Or perhaps some kind of wrapper
like TableForm, which would enable me to formats the content inside of
it.  A PageBreakForm would be nice.

Of course, you probably have ways of doing and thinking about how to
this that I can't imagine yet.  Any suggestions appreciated.