(any documentation for) linear syntax?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg107534] (any documentation for) linear syntax?
  • From: divisor <congruentialuminaire at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 03:52:49 -0500 (EST)

Hello MathGroup:

Solving a recent problem I had, Maxim mentioned that this string:

Subscript[\[Alpha], 23]"

can be used in the Find-Replace dialog by its evaluated equivalent
using this string:

\!\(\[Alpha]\_23\)

He called this "linear syntax".

Since I will have other expressions that I need to convert into a form
like this, I tried to look this up in the help documentation. No luck
when trying these pages:

guide/Syntax
tutorial/SpecialWaysToInputExpressions

Can anyone tell me what this is called in the documentation or where I
can find documentation describing it?

Thanks in advance.

Roger Williams
Franklin Laboratory