A few newbie questions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg107600] A few newbie questions
  • From: Paul Floyd <root at 127.0.0.1>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 03:34:04 -0500 (EST)

Hi

I've started pottering with Mathematica, and have built up a few
questions. I'm using the home edition on a MacBook Pro.

1. On startup, quite often the first thing that I type doesn't get any
response (just the spinning disk busy mouse pointer). Occasionally it'll
snap out of it, but sometimes I have to kill it and restart. Any ideas
why? My guess is that it's a network/license quirk.

2. Sound. Speech, SoundNote, Play seem to work. ListPlay doesn't. And no
indication as to why not, other than loads of Java exceptions in the
Console. Not an issue for me, just curious as to why.

3. For Plots, is there any easy way to view the value of a point on the
curve, and to be able to move the point?

A bientot
Paul