Controlling Memory Usage from JLink

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg107733] Controlling Memory Usage from JLink
  • From: Alexey <lehin.p at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 01:51:14 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

I need a way to control the real memory usage by MathKernel for
preventing swapping on my machine. I am totally disappointed
MemoryConstrained[] (sometimes it works, sometimes fails).

I have not used JLink before and know nothing on Java language but
googling "controlling memory usage from Java" told me that it is
probably possible to get information on the amount of Virtual memory
used by particular process in Java.

If it is true, my question is: how? This question is addressed to
anyone who knows Java and JLink.

If it is not, I would be grateful for any working suggestions. At this
moment I know only one way: by using console utility pslist.exe from
Sysinternals. But it requires loading pslist.exe every time I need to
know the memory usage. I think that it is not very good to launch this
utility 4 times per second...