Re: Re: Replace and ReplaceAll -- simple application

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg106108] Re: [mg106038] Re: Replace and ReplaceAll -- simple application
  • From: DrMajorBob <btreat1 at austin.rr.com>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 05:38:17 -0500 (EST)

All true... but I know about the Conjugate function without ever (as far
as I recall) having a need for it. Mathematica users should expect such a
function to exist, besides, and it's easy to find if you're looking for it.

One certainly might, of course, want to see a function's conjugate without
a series of operations like:

expr = (R + I L) (R - I w L);
Factor@ComplexExpand@Conjugate@expr

(-I L + R) (R + I L w)

...and that sequence won't work in general, anyway.

If we want to see that, we might have to make the I -> -I substitution
manually. For instance,

expr /. {-I -> I, I -> -I}

(-I L + R) (R + I L w)

That works when the terms are symbolic, but not if the symbols are
replaced with constants:

expr = (1 + 2 I) (1 - 3 I)
expr /. {-I -> I, I -> -I}

7 - I

7 - I

That is annoying... that a simple Replace (though not as simple as I ->
-I) works for symbols, but not for numbers.

The following works for numbers AND for symbols, and it's no more
complicated nor less intuitive, I suppose:

expr = (1 + 2 I) (1 - 3 I)
expr /. Complex[a_, b_] :> Complex[a, -b]

7 - I

7 + I

expr = (R + I L) (R - I w L);
expr /. Complex[a_, b_] :> Complex[a, -b]

(-I L + R) (R + I L w)

...but the right path isn't obvious until we've had this discussion (or
something like it).

Bobby

DrMajorBob at yahoo.com