Re: algebraic numbers

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg106161] Re: algebraic numbers
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 03:42:21 -0500 (EST)
On 2 Jan 2010, at 19:05, DrMajorBob wrote:

> If one had the Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences handy, those SAT
> questions could be interesting. But they'd still be nonsense.

I think only their wording should be changed to something like: "find
the simplest formula generating the sequence ...  where simplest means
requiring the least number of standard mathematical symbols to write
down". These kind of questions, of course, should probably allow the
possibility that the person answering the question finds an answer that
is simpler than the expected one.