Re: Replace and ReplaceAll -- simple application

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg106155] Re: Replace and ReplaceAll -- simple application
  • From: DrMajorBob <btreat1 at austin.rr.com>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 03:41:10 -0500 (EST)

It's beating a dead horse, but I gotta mostly agree with Richard's
sentiments, here.

Mathematicians spend much of their time doing substitutions, so it doesn't
wash to say substitution is syntactical, not mathematical.

That said, we'd have to unravel a great deal, if we stopped using FullForm
to explain pattern matching.

Bobby

DrMajorBob at yahoo.com