"more kernels than you are licensed"

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg106188] "more kernels than you are licensed"
  • From: Philip <philipschiff at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 06:01:07 -0500 (EST)

I am running Mathematica 7.0.1 on Linux (I am more of a Windows guy,
but the group I am in only has my darling Mathematica on Linux
installations). Now I am receiving the extremely annoying error "The
kernel failed to start because you are running more Mathematica
kernels than you are licensed".

I went to manage the system processes and killed all of those related
to Mathematica. I restarted the computer several times. I prayed to a
number of gods. What is wrong? For now I will try to start using
another system, but this makes me sad because I love Mathematica so much.