Re: More /.{I->-1} craziness

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg106191] Re: More /.{I->-1} craziness
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 06:01:43 -0500 (EST)

Murray Eisenberg wrote:
> David,
>
> Wow: you covered quite a bit that first day!
>
> Happy New Year,
> Murray
>
> David Bailey wrote:
>> ... when I gave introductory
>> Mathematica courses, I covered the pitfalls of replacement rules on day one!

Well I like ReplaceAll to substitute variables in expressions, rather
than starting with assignments like

x=42

People invariably forget they have made top-level assigments to
variables like that, and get into difficulties a few minutes later. Of
course, that led into a discussion of what you could and couldn't do
with ReplaceAll.

If you start them  with assignments, many students do everything with them!

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk