Re: JLink error

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg106241] Re: JLink error
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 05:58:03 -0500 (EST)

cynthia wu wrote:
> I created a jar file that runs methods that I have created in
> Mathematica.  The java file has everything(libraries, import) it needs
> to connect to the Mathematica Kernel and run the methods.
>
> My issue is that I am using my jar file in Ruby.  I have imported the
> jlink library, my jar file, and everything else I feel it needs to run
> my java file.  However, I am getting the current error:
>
> Fatal error: cannot find the required native library named
> JLinkNativeLibrary.dll

JLink communicates with Mathematica via MathLink, which is in a native
library (C) - so the error makes perfect sense.

Are you writing Java code that will invoke Mathematica code, or are you
writing Java code that will be called from Mathematica in the first
instance? What do you intend to happen with Ruby - do you intend Ruby to
call Java that then calls Mathematica?

Note that if you invoke Java from within mathematica, you will be using
Java 6 (with Mathematica 7) with a large class path that you can
discover using

GetClassPath[]

You obviously need some items from that path.

I hope this at least gives you a few thoughts to follow up on.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk