Re: Re: algebraic numbers

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg106274] Re: [mg106250] Re: algebraic numbers
  • From: DrMajorBob <btreat1 at austin.rr.com>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 02:29:12 -0500 (EST)

> Bobby, you're looking at how machine reals are *encoded*, and a
> *subset* of them is encoded as if they were precise rationals, as you
> say. But what matters is how they *behave*.

If RootApproximant@RandomReal[] succeeds, that random number is algebraic,
according to Mathematica... yes or no?

RootApproximant@RandomReal[]

Root[3 - #1 - #1^3 - #1^4 - 4 #1^5 + 4 #1^6 - 2 #1^7 +
    2 #1^8 + #1^9 + #1^10 - 2 #1^11 - 2 #1^12 + #1^14 &, 1]

(It succeeds every time, as far as I can tell.)

Does that constitute behaving like an algebraic number?

Bobby

DrMajorBob at yahoo.com