Re: Re: Re: Re: algebraic numbers

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg106281] Re: [mg106238] Re: [mg106220] Re: [mg106192] Re: algebraic numbers
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 02:30:40 -0500 (EST)
  • References: <200912290620.BAA02732@smc.vnet.net> <hhpl0g$9l1$1@smc.vnet.net> <201001050647.BAA24123@smc.vnet.net> <E44EA2F2-1274-43E8-93DE-DC5BD31884A5@mimuw.edu.pl> <op.u52ai6jwtgfoz2@bobbys-imac.local> <504E0A05-61DB-4A43-9637-68216076623C@mimuw.edu.pl> <op.u529salwtgfoz2@bobbys-imac.local> <771DE886-36BB-4108-A83C-808109BAA8C3@mimuw.edu.pl> <op.u53a91u1tgfoz2@bobbys-imac.local> <201001061057.FAA14928@smc.vnet.net> <op.u54k94ojtgfoz2@bobbys-imac.local> <86095ED9-9201-4CCE-B9F8-2091CB57BD33@mimuw.edu.pl> <op.u54x9awhtgfoz2@bobbys-imac.local>

It seems to me that this entire discussion has turned into pure
philosophy and isn't really suitable for this forum. But to put it all
in a nutshell: I do not see any reason to think that anything that a
computer can do is in a fundamental way different to what human brain
does. So, if you claim that "all computer reals are rational" I can't
see how this is different from the claim that "all reals are rational" -
since reals surely exist only in mathematics, which is a product of the
human mind.

Now, as I mentioned earlier, Roger Penrose has tried to argue that the
human brain is fundamentally different from a computer and that it has
some sort of access to "real numbers" that a computer cannot achieve (he
formulates this in terms of Turing machines and computability but
essentially it amounts to the same thing). This view remains very
controversial and seems to be a minority one. But anyway, you do not
seem to be referring to this sort of thing. So put this question to you:
are you only claiming that "all computer reals are rationals" or are you
also claiming that "all reals are rationals"? If not, then what is the
difference between the two? Why can't a computer, in principle of
course, perfectly simulate the activity of the human brian that we call
"doing mathematics"?

Andrzej Kozlowski

On 7 Jan 2010, at 08:59, DrMajorBob wrote:

> If I'm told that finite-precision reals are not Rational "because
Mathematica says so", but that Mathematica success (by some algorithm)
in finding a Root[...] representation doesn't mean the number is
algebraic... yet I know that all finite binary expansions ARE both
rational and algebraic as a matter of basic arithmetic... then I
question whether Mathematica is saying anything either way.

> Perhaps it's just Mathematica USERS holding forth in each direction.
>
> I think the view of reals as monads (a la nonstandard analysis) melds
with the fact that reals are irrational A.E. and non-algebraic A.E.,
while monads are, of course, consistent with the spirit of Mathematica's
arbitrary-precision arithmetic (WHEN IT IS USED). The OP posted a number
far beyond machine precision, so it's reasonable to come at this from
that arbitrary-precision world-view... in which case you're "right" and
I'm "wrong".

<akoz at mimuw.edu.pl> wrote:

>>> Not to repeat myself, but RootApproximant said 100 out of 100
randomly chosen machine-precision reals ARE algebraic.

>> No, they are not real algebraic. RootApproximant gives algenraic
approximations to these numbers and in fact it uses a test for what
makes a good approximation. In never says that these numbers themselves
are algebraic. You have been completely confused about this. The method
RootApproximant uses is the LLL method, which finds approximations.
Because of this it will give you a number of different approximations
for the same real. For example

>> In[7]:= RootApproximant[N[Pi, 10], 2]
>>
>> Out[7]= (1/490)*(71 + Sqrt[2156141])
>>
>> In[8]:= RootApproximant[N[Pi, 10], 3]
>>
>> Out[8]= Root[37 #1^3-114 #1^2-36 #1+91&,3]
>>
>> So how come N[Pi,10] is equal to two quite different algebraic
numbers?
>> You should first understand what an algorithm does (e.g.
RootApproximant) before making weird claims about it. (In fact Daniel
Lichtblau already explained this but you just seem to have ignored it).

>> Andrzej Kozlowski
>>

>>> If your interpretation is correct and consistent with Mathematica,
and if Mathematica is internally consistent on the topic, virtually all
of those reals should NOT have been algebraic.