Re: Occurrences in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg106373] Re: [mg106350] Occurrences in Mathematica
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 05:28:04 -0500 (EST)

Here's one way, via an example:

   lis = RandomChoice[Characters["abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz"], 50];

   Select[Union[lis], Count[lis, #] == 2 &]

Your results will vary according to what RandomChoice gives you. But the
code does exactly what you asked: it selects (Select) from the unique
elements of the list (Union[lis]) those elements for which the Count of
their appearances in the list is 2.

I make no claims for the efficiency of the code. That may depend upon
the length and perhaps even the elements of your list, among other things.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305