How to go from TeX ---> TraditionalForm

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg106398] How to go from TeX ---> TraditionalForm
  • From: Philip <philipschiff at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 18:51:49 -0500 (EST)

I am dissatisfied with the way text and what have you appears in
Mathematica. I like using it as a comprehensive environment though, so
I would prefer to make plots with it, rather than export them to
origin or some other program.

But I need the labels on the figures to look better if I am really
going to show these images to other people. Is there a way to input
TeX code and create TraditionalForm output? The Wolfram documentation
demonstrates this for the simple example

ToExpression["\\sqrt{a b}",TeXForm];

But a slightly more complicated example throws a monkey wrench into it
all:

ToExpression["\\frac{d}{dt}<E(x)>",TeXForm];

Why does it interpret "E" as if it were InputForm? Is there a way just
to type a line of TeX and turn it into a TraditionalForm output?

Best,
Phil