Re: More /.{I->-1} craziness

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg106530] Re: More /.{I->-1} craziness
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 03:20:58 -0500 (EST)

In article <hhhme6$o0s$1 at smc.vnet.net>, Bob Hanlon <hanlonr at cox.net>
wrote:

> You appear to be comparing apples and oranges.
>
> Head /@ {I, E, Pi, Infinity}
>
> {Complex,Symbol,Symbol,DirectedInfinity}
>
> FullForm /@ {I, E, Pi, Infinity}
>
> {Complex[0,1],E,Pi,DirectedInfinity[1]}
>
> Since rules are applied to the FullForm,,,
>

> Bob Hanlon

1)  The problem is not explaining _why_ or _how_ this behavior
happens; the problem is that Mathematica has been constructed
_so that it happens_ --  and it's a damaging and unfortunate
and undesirable (and, at base, unnecessary?) way for Mathematica to
respond.

In other words, it's not necessarily a "bug" -- I don't have an opinion,
or even qualifications to have an opinion, on that point -- but it's
certainly a product defect..

2)  Quote from the primary Help for I:

"The symbol I needs to be evaluated to become a complex number:"

Huh?  What?  "The **symbol** I ...?"

How many ordinary users of Mathematica do you think would view I, E and
Pi as symbols that all happen to represent a number -- but that all
function as symbols until you call for a numerical output?

Put another way, how many users do you think would automatically know or
expect, from their pre-Mathematica eduction that I, E and Pi would be
handled in this different (inconsistent) way in Mathematica?