Re: Re: More /.{I->-1} craziness

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg106598] Re: [mg106555] Re: More /.{I->-1} craziness
  • From: Leonid Shifrin <lshifr at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 07:30:48 -0500 (EST)

Hi Tony,

I feel obliged to reply since your interpretation of those parts of my posts
which you keep citing is not quite what I meant, but I hope that this is my
last post in this thread.

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 3:11 AM, AES <siegman at stanford.edu> wrote:

> > In article <hhpl28$9lf$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
> >  Leonid Shifrin <lshifr at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > > I stick to my view of replacement rules as being aimed primarily at
> > > users, or at least as a tool that should be used with much care.
>

> And one or two other responses in this thread have suggested that users
> should be given advanced training in the functioning and fine details of
> ReplaceAll before they even begin to use Mathematica.
>
> This latter proposal strikes me as a really crazy proposition, and
> essentially impossible in the real world.

I think that the notion of the real world is a moving target, and besides
continuously changing. I don't think most of research and engineering in the
near future will be done like it is now. In particular, the conventional
research process may learn a thing or two from the modern software
development techniques, in terms of making the generated knowledge more
universally accessible and useful to a wider audience than just experts in
that particular field with many years of experience in it.  I expect that
tools allowing automation and synthesis will in the near future play no less
important role than tools for specialization.

IMO, in lots of fields more than enough of specialized knowledge has been
generated already. At least in the fields I've been working, the annual
number of new articles increased dramatically since the seventies or
eighties, but very few of these papers can compare in quality with an
average good paper from that period. I  think that at least partially this
is a problem of communication between different sub-domains which became
very specialized - resembles to me the Babel tower somewhat.  But to
efficiently combine specialized knowledge, you need some common denominator.
I view Mathematica as one of the candidates for tools to be widely used in
this spirit.

So, addressing specifically your statements: indeed, viewed as a tool for
specialization, learning  Mathematica on a decent level may seem  too much
of a burden since most specific problems require only a fraction of its
power. But I think  that in the near future ultra-specialization will be
generally no longer enough for people to stay competitive in whatever they
will be doing, exactly due to the large amounts of potentially useful
knowledge having been already generated in other (sub)fields and waiting to
be utilized.  This is only my personal opinion anyway, the time will show
who is right.

Regarding your specific queries about ReplaceAll etc, just two comments:

1. The whole topic of this thread is based on an exceptional situation
(considering auto-evaluation of I and a couple of other symbols), and there
are really just a few of such exceptions, so I don't think it is appropriate
to base general statements on these.

2. For anyone with a decent understanding of Mathematuca pattern-matching
and evaluation, all these things don't pose any problem at all - and these
two topics are not that hard to learn either.

Regards,
Leonid