Re: Initialization problem in a DynamicModule

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg106654] Re: [mg106634] Initialization problem in a DynamicModule
  • From: Ariel Sepulveda <ariel.sepulveda at prontoanalytics.com>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 06:48:41 -0500 (EST)

This seems to work fine:

Panel@DynamicModule[{x, y, assign, initialize},
  initialize[];
  assign[];
  Grid[{{"", "A", "B"}, {"w/ assign:",
     RadioButton[Dynamic[x, (x = #; assign[]) &], True],
     RadioButton[Dynamic[x, (x = #; assign[]) &], False]},
    {"w/o assign:", RadioButton[Dynamic@x, True],
     RadioButton[Dynamic@x, False]},
    {"value:", Dynamic@x}},
   Dividers -> {False, {False, True, True, True, False}},
   Alignment -> {Left, {Center}}],
  Initialization :> (assign[] := (y =
       x);(*further variables to update*)
    initialize[] := (x = True;);(*initialization function*))]

I assume that the problem is that you should initialize at the beginning of
the code and not inside the initialization script.  Recall that
DynamicModule remembers all local variables so, once defined you don't need
to have them reinitialized every time the Initialization is evaluated (i.e.
everytime the DynamicModule is evaluated the first time in a Mathematica
session).  Besides, if you try to initialize inside Initialization, you
would be asking the DynamicModule to redefine local variables in each new
session, and that is not what is expected from DynamicModule but local
variables should keep latest session values.

Hope this helps.

Ariel Sepulveda