Re: Re: More /.{I->-1} craziness

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg106644] Re: [mg106635] Re: More /.{I->-1} craziness
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 06:46:45 -0500 (EST)

It's been some years since I've seen studies comparing performance of
students taking a traditional calculus course, on the one hand, and
those taking a Mathematica-using course, on the other hand.  As I
recall, the studies showed the latter group performing at least as well
as the former, and sometimes better, at traditional pen-and-paper
skills.  In addition, the latter could solve more complex or more
realistic problems than the former.

You might want to take a look, e.g., at the link to "A guide to the
studies done on the Mathematica-based courses" at matheverywhere.com.
This concerns the "Calculus& Mathematica" project created by Jerry Uhl,
Horacio Porta, and Bill Davis, at University of Illinois and Ohio State
University.

There have been a number of Mathematica-permeated calculus and
post-calculus courses taught over the years. Others you might wish to
look at are:

   Calculus, Keith Stroyan, University of Iowa
   Interactive Multivariable Calculus, Stroyan also
   Differential Equations, Selwyn Hollis,
      Armstrong Atlantic State University
   Abstract Algebra, Al Hibbard and Ken Levasseur, Central College
      and University of Massachusetts/Lowell

There have been presentations about some of these projects at various
Mathematica conferences.

I've based several courses myself upon Mathematica use. Those of us who
do so often just grow tired of trying to justify what we're doing to
those who are dubious or skeptical or just plain ignorant of what's
possible and how.  My own experience is that those who don't want to
"believe" simply will not believe.  And often they don't want to make
the effort to reconceptualize what it is they're teaching (and why) and how.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305