Re: Re: More /.{I->-1} craziness. Schools are conservative. So are [people]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg106751] Re: [mg106683] Re: More /.{I->-1} craziness. Schools are conservative. So are [people]
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akozlowski at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 05:41:19 -0500 (EST)
On 21 Jan 2010, at 10:51, Richard Fateman wrote:

> David Park wrote:
>> Again, I have to strongly disagree with AES and RJF.
> You are entitled to.  AES says he has 50 years of experience; I have 35+.

"One foot in the grave" is not necessarily the best stand point for viewing the future ;-)

While I find myself in an unusual situation of agreeing with most of what follows (except of course RJF's) I think David Park specifically had in mind Mathematica's 6 and 7 "Dynamic" functionality. This is something in which Mathematica currently has no competitors among CAS systems and in fact in practice its only competitor is Java.

This functionality is entirely lost if you replace an .nb or .nbp file with a pdf. Its usefulness obviously depends on the area one applies it to. For example, it is almost incredibly useful in the area of financial mathematics but not at all in algebraic topology (just two examples chosen from personal experience). In others the mileage will very.

Since I agree with David that printed journals also have one foot in the grave (perhaps more) and online publishing is the future, most of the comments below do not appear to be relevant.

Andrzej Kozlowski