Re: Re: Function and object naming conventions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg106765] Re: [mg106755] Re: [mg106701] Function and object naming conventions
  • From: Canopus56 <canopus56 at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 07:30:45 -0500 (EST)

> Stephen Wolfram also followed the practice of almost always using longer
> descriptive names. ... Using longer descriptive names also reduces the
> chances of conflict with other names - WRI names or other package names.

Thanks to all for the many great replies in this thread.  Name conflicts really seem to be a common problem with several of the Mathematica archive packages that I've tried.   Sometype of naming convention practice seems important. E.g. - the last one I tried was a package on importing triple variables for plotting:

Import["ListToArray.m"]

ListToArray::shdw: ListToArrayappears in multiple contexts {ListToArray`,Global`} definitions in context 'ListToArray' may shadow or be shadowed by other definitions. -----------

For VBA and javascript, I usually just append my initials for publically exposed packages to prevent conflicts.

Thanks, Kurt