Creating new ColorFunction / ColorDataFunction

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg106779] Creating new ColorFunction / ColorDataFunction
  • From: Luci Ellis <luci at verbeia.com>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 07:33:27 -0500 (EST)

Dear all,
I'm putting together a package to automate some of the specific time
series and bar chart styles used by my employer. Ultimately I hope to
be able to set it up as a palette/package combination to provide a GUI
that can used in Player Pro.

There are many things I am still struggling with. One of them is how to
define standardised indexed color schemes different to the ones that
come built into Mathematica. The idea is that users could choose one of
our standard sets of colors in a (say) ColorScheme option to the
XYZLineChart and XYZBarChart functions I have written, where XYZ is the
acronym of my employer, which you can probably guess by Googling.

In other words, what I'm looking for is a way to define XYZColors[n] as
an indexed color scheme, so that:

XYZLineChart[data, ColorScheme->XYZColors[3]
PlotStyle->{Directive[AbsoluteThickness[2],Dashed],
AbsoluteThickness[1]}]

results in

DateListPlot[data, Joined->True, PlotStyle->{Directive[XYZColors[3][1],
AbsoluteThickness[2],Dashed], Directive[XYZColors[3][1],
AbsoluteThickness[1]]  }  ,
multiple_other_options_defined_in_XYZLineChart]