Re: More /.{I->-1} craziness. Schools are conservative. So are [people]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg106837] Re: More /.{I->-1} craziness. Schools are conservative. So are [people]
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 05:44:44 -0500 (EST)

"Richard Fateman" <fateman at cs.berkeley.edu> wrote in message
news:hjeqh1$g3c$1 at smc.vnet.net...
> Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:
>
>> This functionality is entirely lost if you replace an .nb or .nbp file
>> with a pdf.
> > Its usefulness obviously depends on the area one applies it to.
>
> 1. There is, by now, a well-established model for writing Java Applets
> for illustrating mathematical concepts. A google search will find a huge
> number of them. Mathematica, while providing a simple interface from
> the programmer level to (say) plotting, is hardly unique.
>  And, I daresay,

Yes, Java does provide the mechanics to run applications on the internet
offcourse, but for mathematically/Scientific oriented applications, it is
clearly much easier to use Mathematica simply because it has all the
mathematical functions needed already in place.

Mathematica has 3,000 mathematical functions ready to use. How many does
Java has?

This does not even take into account that Java seems to have a way to try
freeze my browser each time I try to run an applet, that is why I have Java
turned off in my browser now.

At this time, there is simply nothing better out there to use to develop
scientific applications intended to run on the web than the Mathematica
demos.

I wish WRI would allow all of Mathematica functionality to be available for
use under the free player version. (example, input/read in a local file,
input text, etc....)

--Nasser