Re: Journals dying?, apparently rather slowly (was ,

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg106894] Re: Journals dying?, apparently rather slowly (was ,
  • From: Richard Fateman <fateman at cs.berkeley.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 06:35:48 -0500 (EST)

Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:
> "Richard Fateman" <fateman at cs.berkeley.edu> wrote in message
> news:hjh86s$r4d$1 at smc.vnet.net...
>
>> If I had an excellent idea and I wished to publish it, I would certainly
>> shy away from a presentation
>> that required the reader to own a Mathematica license,
>
> You do not need a license to use the free Mathematica player. Just like you
> do not need a license to open a pdf file using the free pdf reader?
>
> --Nasser

OK, I'll go further and even say this:

I would certainly shy away from a presentation that required the reader
to own a free Mathematica player.

Why?

1. Most people do not have it, while most people DO have Adobe Reader.

2. Getting a copy of Mathematica Player seems to require that you supply
WRI with your email and other information.

3. I suspect that downloading Mathematica Player to a computer in a
public library would not be allowed.

I can imagine circumstances in which I might require a Mathematica
Player, but I would generally hope to make my (presumably mathematical)
statement independent of that.
  (example circumstance:  if I were writing a paper whose topic was the
Mathematica Player itself.)

RJF