Re: Re: Re: More /.{I->-1} craziness. Schools

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg106921] Re: [mg106656] Re: [mg106882] Re: More /.{I->-1} craziness. Schools
  • From: Daniel Lichtblau <danl at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 02:44:48 -0500 (EST)

DrMajorBob wrote:
> 0 and 1 are not "fuzzballs", so what interval could be >= 1 and also 0.?
>
> Bobby

I had in mind the spoiler answer Richard Fateman provided in his first
post mentioning this particular tangent, err, example.

http://forums.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/2010/Jan/msg00638.html

At the bottom we find:
---
I would especially avoid .nb objects, and most especially on topics of
numerical analysis, where the design flaws are, in my opinion, so
fundamental.  Example (mathematica 7.0):
{x >= 1, x > 1, x > 0, x}
      evaluates to
{True, False, False, 0.}

    can you construct x?

RJF

One possible answer, below....

x=0``-.5
---

The point is that with Mathematica's version of significance arithmetic,
equality, I believe, is effectively treated as having a nontrivial an
intersection (of the implicit intervals defining two numbers). If
neither has any fuzz (i.e. both are exact), then Equal allows for no
fuzz, so this is only a subtlety if at least one of the values is
approximate.

One implication is that a "zero" of sufficiently low (as in bad)
accuracy can be regarded as 1, or -1, or Pi, if those values happen to
fall within the accuracy (which I refer to as fuzz).

The other inequalities follow from the preservation of trichotomy. For
explicitly real values we regard that as important. mathematica makes no
pretense that Equal is transitive and I do not see any way to do that
and also have useful approximate arithmetic.

There has been some amount of communication off-line on this topic,
which is why some of us (well, me, at least) sometimes forget the
examples are not universally obvious to those who have not memorized the
enitre thread.

Daniel