Re: Customizing Manipulate's Autorun

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg110663] Re: Customizing Manipulate's Autorun
  • From: "Ingolf Dahl" <ingolf.dahl at telia.com>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 08:26:50 -0400 (EDT)

Here is a second comment on John Fultz's comments on my letter:

> From: John Fultz [mailto:jfultz at wolfram.com]

>  snip

> Second, there is a much easier technique for making a hidden control.
> Manipulate supports this directly using the ControlType option.  E.g.,
>
> Control[{{t, 0}, 0, 4*Pi, Pi/12, ControlType -> None}]
>
> There are several examples in the Manipulate documentation which highlight
this
> usage.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> John Fultz

When I read this, I thought I must have missed something in the
documentation. So I became a little bit finicky and checked the
documentation. This is what I have found, relating Control and ControlType:

On the "Control Objects" page: " Control -- an interactive control with type
automatically chosen", and ControlType is not mentioned.

On the " Controls Options" page: ControlType is not mentioned.

On the "Control" page, "opts" is mentioned as a possible argument with the
comment " use the specified control options". But then no possible option
are specified or used in the examples.

On the "ControlType" page: "ControlType is an option for Manipulate and
related functions that specifies what type of controls should be displayed".
Please be specific and tell the names of the "related functions"! It is not
easy to understand that Control is a related function, while Manipulator is
not. Or can ControlType be given as option to Manipulator?

In the "Introduction to Manipulate" and the "Advanced Manipulate
Functionality": Neither Control nor ControlType is mentioned, as far as I
have found when I scanned through. Have I missed some place?

Finally, at the "Manipulate" page, both Control and ControlType are
mentioned, and it is stated "ControlType options can be given separately for
each variable. Options for the controls can also be given within the
specification for the variables." This was what I missed.

It is not explicitly stated, but I guess that it is so, that the argument of
Control should have the same form as the specification of a variable for
Manipulate. A variable for Manipulate is considered as an variable for
Manipulate even if it is wrapped by a Control statement. Are there any
examples of Manipulate using Control as argument? Control has also an own
life outside Manipulate, but then ControlType->None does not seem to be an
option.

So I do not think I am unfair if I describe the use of Control with the
option ControlType->None as an "undocumented, or poorly documented feature".
One thing that might be clarified is what the difference is between the
setting {{u,0}, None} and {{u,0}, ControlType->None} or setting u = 0 in the
Initialization option.

Ingolf Dahl