Re: documentation program

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg110683] Re: documentation program
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 02:55:56 -0400 (EDT)

If I understand you correctly you are asking if one can write applications
in Mathematica that provide new resources to a user and then document these
so they are easy to use.

The answer is definitely yes.

As a first step you could write a notebook that contains the routines in an
Initialization section of the notebook, and then write Sections that
textually describe and illustrate the use of the routines.

Then, if you get the Wolfram Workbench program, you can write a complete
Application that has the routines in a package or packages, and has full
documentation that looks and behaves pretty much like the regular
Mathematica documentation. It is some work to learn how to do this, and some
work to actually do it. For example, you would not only write a usage
message for each function you provide, but also a documentation page with
notes and examples. However, if you are doing serious work, and building up
serious capabilities this is a very good way to organize and preserve your
work, and make it available to others.

This all should, in principle, work on various computer platforms. But
Windows and Mac are probably the most robust.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: Dirk Fehse [mailto:dirk.fehse at chemie.uni-halle.de]

Hi,
I just want to ask here whether anyone know or use a good program for
document Mathematica software. I?d would like to use them for some
structure diagrams of the software kit.
One think will very nice too, when it runs under Winxp and Linux.
Cheers
Dirk