Re: The side-effects of mixing TraditionalForm inside expressions.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg110780] Re: The side-effects of mixing TraditionalForm inside expressions.
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 21:15:20 -0400 (EDT)

In article <i0saj2$eno$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org> wrote:

> My lesson of the day: do not use TraditionalForm inside expressions.

Another example of what some of us call a "gotcha".

To its credit, Wolfram gives a kind of semi-explicit warning about this
particular gotcha as the first item in the "More Information" cell that
comes right after the initial short command summary in the
"ref/TraditionalForm" Help window.  But:

1)  Your wording is a lot more terse, and will be much clearer and more
helpful for novice users, than Wolfram's.

2)  And, this More Information cell is, for some reason, closed by
default when the ref/TraditionalForm window is opened.

I can get from a notebook cell to a ref/Xxxx Help window (and back)
purely by keyboard commands on my extended Mac keyboard -- but I don't
know how to then open the More Information cells except by going to the
mouse and futzing with it.

Seems to me the default for the More Information cells ought to be that
they're open when any ref/Xxxx window is opened.  Any way to set that
default for all ref/Xxxx (and similar) windows?

(And while we're at it, any keyboard way to open _all_ the subsequent
closed section-heading cells in a ref/Xxxx window at once, so that
powerful Find or Search capabilities could be used in some of these very
lengthy Help windows?)