Pattern: x_List with conditions on elements

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg110829] Pattern: x_List with conditions on elements
  • From: telefunkenvf14 <rgorka at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 03:13:34 -0400 (EDT)

Group:

1. Can someone provide a clearer way of implementing the following
example? (Goal: I want a pattern that accepts only a list of real
numbers and what I have seems hacky.)

MatchQ[{1, 2, 2.2},x_?(VectorQ[#,(NumericQ[#]&&Im[#]==0)&]&)]

2. Could someone show me how to create a second pattern which accepts
only a list (vector) of symbols? I feel like I'm spinning my wheels a
bit on this one...

3. Does anyone else think it would be nice to compile a list of
favorite/useful patterns, along with a very brief explanation of the
intent? (And yes, I know there are a bunch of examples in the
documentation(!), but I'm thinking more in terms of assembling a list
of recipes.) I guess I'm just craving more guided examples.

-RG