change $UserBaseDirectory ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg110830] change $UserBaseDirectory ?
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 03:13:45 -0400 (EDT)

I need to have access to an application, let's call it "Stuff",
including its Documentation Center-style documentation, yet am unable to
install it in either $BaseDirectory or $UserBaseDirectory.  And I'm
unable to change $UserBaseDirectory since the system is "locked down".

I'll put the application in a directory, say,

   P:\AddOns\Applications\Stuff

somewhere else entirely.

I still want to evaluate

   Needs["Stuff`"]

in order to make the application package's functions available.

That much is easy: append "P:\AddOns\Applications\Stuff" to $Path.

But how does one make the documentation available so that:

(1) there will be an entry for the package in the Documentation Center's
guide/InstalledAddOns page;

(2) the link on that page will still bring up the associated
documentation for the package;

(3) and of course all the internal links for documentation pages of the
application will work.

How?

Note that I am NOT asking how to write such an application or how to
arrange its files into subdirectory of Applications.  The application
works just fine if, on an un-locked-down system, it is installed like
any other -- in a subdirectory Stuff of the Applications directory of
$UserBaseDirectory.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305