Re: Avoid the use of certain functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111108] Re: Avoid the use of certain functions
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 03:45:30 -0400 (EDT)

One should not be so quick to condemn the world when it does not conform
to your own preconceptions and preferences!

There is a good geometric reason that sec is an appropriate name for the
reciprocal of cos rather than of sin.  Draw the unit circle, center at
the origin O. Mark off a central angle of theta from the positive
x-axis, and let P be the corresponding point on the circle. Draw the
vertical line L through the point (1,0). Extend the ray OP until it
intersects L at a point Q. Then the length of OQ is sec (theta).  That
line segment OQ cuts across the circle.

[See, e.g., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigonometric_functions. (I
thought I remembered also some Wolfram Demonstration of this, but I
cannot locate it now.)]

Furthermore, in the usual list of the 6 trig functions

   sin
   cos
   tan
   cot
   sec
   csc

there is a symmetry of pairs around the middle: cot = 1/tan, sec =
1/cos, csc = 1/sin.

Finally, what's wrong with sec and csc?  Mathematical expressions are
often simpler when expressed in terms of them, since this avoids
(explicit) use of fractions for the functions.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305