Problem when importing individual frames from an AVI file

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111128] Problem when importing individual frames from an AVI file
  • From: "Steven Mullen" <Steve at 21cm.com>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 07:13:14 -0400 (EDT)

I have not been able to figure out why the second commend below fails.
The program seems to only be able to import frames 1 - 257, despite,
apparently, more frames being present in the AVI file. (When I replace
the number 258 in the second line, with a number from 1 - 257, the frame
is displayed). Am I mis-interpreting the meaning of "Frames"? When I
import a larger movie file, the number of frames that the program can
display is greater, but still less than the number listed by the
FrameCount option?

I've searched the archives and Mathematica help files, to no avail. Any advice
would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Code:

Import["C:/My Documents/July 6/mixedmovie.avi", "FrameCount"]

Import["C:/My Documents/July 6/mixedmovie.avi", {"Frames",258}]

Out[10]= 4459

Import::noelem: The Import element "258" is not present when importing
as
System`Convert`MovieDump`prettynameFormat[System`Convert`MovieDump`INFER
REDFORMAT]. >>

Out[11]= $Failed

Steven F. Mullen