assuming certain properties about variables

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111403] assuming certain properties about variables
  • From: Benjamin Hell <hell at exoneon.de>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 02:40:03 -0400 (EDT)

  Hi,
let's say I have defined the following function:
f[x_?Positive] = x
Now I want to evaluate f with a variable t:
f[t]
As mathematica knows nothing about t, the output is f[t] instead of t.

How can I tell mathematica, that t should be a positive number so that
Positive[t] evaluates true and then f[t] evaluates to t?
Of course this is just an example, which should present what I would
like to know.

Thanks in advance.