fyi, for users of free Mathematica player on linux 64 bit OS

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg110117] fyi, for users of free Mathematica player on linux 64 bit OS
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 02:06:36 -0400 (EDT)

This might be useful to some.

I found that on Linux 64 bit OS, if you download the Mathematica free
player from WRI web site, it is a 32 bit application.

After I installed it, and tried to run it, I got the error:

/usr/local/Wolfram/MathematicaPlayer/7.0/SystemFiles/FrontEnd/Binaries/Linux/MathematicaPlayer:
error while loading shared libraries: libXmu.so.6: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory

i.e. it is looking for 32 bit version of the library libXmu.so which
will be located in /usr/lib, while the 64 bit version is located is
already located in /usr/lib64, but that one can't be used. No
LD_LIBRARY_PATH trick will work.

To get the player to work on linux 64 bit, I needed to install the 32
bit version of this library, which is contained in the package
libXmu-devel which I installed using yum package manager.

Now the player will come up OK.

--Nasser