MathGroup Archive 2010

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Using Mathematica to create simple HTML webpages

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg110205] Using Mathematica to create simple HTML webpages
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 07:07:34 -0400 (EDT)

I have been playing with Mathematicas Export[ ] function in order to create a simple website and would be intereseted in others perspectives, tips and advice. 
1. Is the first tip don't do it?
2. When I export to HTML the first thing I find is the formating for Grids and Columns disappears - the text is in the right place but the Frames have gone. Is there a fix?
3. At first I was amazed at how well you could use a Insert Graphic to create a drawing board in which you could place text, graphics, equations etc. All easily positioned (with some patience) and with the ability to overlay stuff giving some nice arty effects - what i had not reaslised what the result would be output to HTML as a single GIF which means Hyperlinks in the text inserted into the graphic have stopped working. Worse still, the result is slow to load when you are new to the page - i guess the GIF size is the issue but you cant change resolution and probably wouldn't want to because it already looks a little grainy.
4. There doesn't seem to be a way of creating something like a dropdown with options - is that correct? All the Mathematica controls are converted to GIFs. 
5. And, is there no way of creating the the equivalent of frames other than cheating again by puting the elements into separate graphics frames?
6. My general impression is that Wolfram have set up some good basics but with gaps - so any idea what the future holds. Am I barking up the wrong tree and would webMathematica solve these problems?       

• Prev by Date: Re: DynamicModule and FileNameSetter problem
  • Next by Date: Re: Problems running Mathematica and WordMS together in Win7
  • Previous by thread: Re: DynamicModule and FileNameSetter problem
  • Next by thread: Re: Using Mathematica to create simple HTML webpages