Re: Mac OS X hard disk space used up by virtual

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg110270] Re: Mac OS X hard disk space used up by virtual
  • From: Greg Colbourn <gcolbourn at hotmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 02:09:10 -0400 (EDT)

I've now fixed this, and thought I'd let the group know for future reference. The first thing was to close down links to other mathematica applications that Mathematica doesn't automatically do (GIF.exe, and RDPStruct.exe) - I did this with:
nlinks = Length[Links[]]; Do[LinkClose[Links[][[Length[Links[]]]]], {nlinks - 4}];

Which closes down the last 4 links open. However, this still didn't fix the problem. I found that there was a memory leak issue with ListDensityPlot, which has been mentioned before - http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=6414890&tstart=0 (despite the reply to this post saying that memory wasn't leaking, it was my experience that it does, and is not claimed back). To fix this, I recoded the ListDensityPlots to ArrayPlots, which took a bit of work to get the scales on the axes correct.
Greg