MathGroup Archive 2010

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Re: Mac OS X hard disk space used up by virtual

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg110270] Re: Mac OS X hard disk space used up by virtual
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 02:09:10 -0400 (EDT)

I've now fixed this, and thought I'd let the group know for future reference. The first thing was to close down links to other mathematica applications that Mathematica doesn't automatically do (GIF.exe, and RDPStruct.exe) - I did this with:
nlinks = Length[Links[]]; Do[LinkClose[Links[][[Length[Links[]]]]], {nlinks - 4}];

Which closes down the last 4 links open. However, this still didn't fix the problem. I found that there was a memory leak issue with ListDensityPlot, which has been mentioned before - http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=6414890&tstart=0 (despite the reply to this post saying that memory wasn't leaking, it was my experience that it does, and is not claimed back). To fix this, I recoded the ListDensityPlots to ArrayPlots, which took a bit of work to get the scales on the axes correct.
Greg
> Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 08:44:48 -0400
> From: gcolbourn at hotmail.com
> Subject: [mg110156] Re: Mac OS X hard disk space used up by virtual memory
> To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
>
> I've had another go at tackling this, again with no luck. All the arrays
> are being overwritten (i.e. with names = Names["@"];namedmemtot = Total[Table[ByteCount[Symbol[names[[i]]]], {i, Length[names]}]]; named memtot does not increase with each gif being processed. Nor does LeafCount increase), but somehow the memory used by the MathKernel keeps increasing to the point of crashing my machine.
> Using MemoryConstrained doesn't help, as it just fills the memory up an d aborts. Nor does Share[] help, or ClearSystemCache[] or Update[].
> I'm at a loss. Is this a bug in Mathematica? I.e. a memory leak. In addition to the MathKernel memory keeping increasing, so does the memory used by GIF.exe. Has anyone else come across this problem?
> Greg
> > Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 03:17:00 -0500
> > From: gcolbourn at hotmail.com
> > Subject: [mg106509] Mac OS X hard disk space used up by virtual memory
> > To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
> >
> > Hi,
> > I'm using Mathematica 7 on Mac OS 10.6. I'm finding that when I'm reading in netcdf files and then outputting gifs created from the data, my hard drive space gets rapidly consumed (presumably by virtual memory), to the point where all 20GB of free space is consumed and Mathematica crashes. This happens after only a couple of 100 gif files of approx. 1MB each are created. Arrays containing the data are constantly overwritten in Do loops.
> > I've tried Clear[] for the various data containing arrays at each iteration of the loop. And I've also tried $HistoryLength=0, each to no avail.  Has anyone else seen anything similar?
> > Greg Colbourn 		 	   	

• Prev by Date: Re: Custom ContourLabels in Contour Plots
  • Next by Date: Lauching application from an icon
  • Previous by thread: 3D plot of hemisphere pushing into a triangular membrane or surface
  • Next by thread: Lauching application from an icon